I have been thinking a lot about my process and the major changes I have been through over the past few years then my memory of school days came flashing by. I thought of the many things that God had graced me to achieve and I also thought of moments of failure throughout my school years. I came across an article which is the inspiration for this blog (Association For Supervision and Curriculum Development- Thomas Armstrong) that I read in preparation for Release Me which was launched in October.
Have you ever been made to feel stupid at school because you could not work out an algebra problem or you could not spell a specific word? For me maths was not my strongest point so when I failed maths at GCSE level I was devastated when I had to redo mathematics for a whole year at college. Rather than focus on my strengths my weaknesses were magnified in school. Did you have this issue at school too. I would love to hear from you. But I discovered that psychologists have found that there are nine different types of intelligences. I will expand on each intelligences and you can figure out which one or more of these intelligences applies to you.
1)Naturalist Intelligence- this ability allows the human ability to discriminate among living things (plants,animals) as well as sensitivity to other features of the natural world (clouds, rock configurations).
2) Musical Intelligence- this intelligence is the capacity to discern pitch, rhythm, timbre, and tone. This intelligence allows one to recognise, create, reproduce and reflect on music, as demonstrated by composers, conductors, musicians, vocalist, and sensitive listeners.
3) Logical- Mathematical Intelligence(Number/Reasoning Smart)- mathematical intelligence is the ability to calculate, quantify, consider propositions and hypotheses, and carry out complete mathematical operations.
4) Existential Intelligence- sensitivity and capacity to tackle deep questions about human existence, such as the meaning of life, why do we die and how we get here.
5) Interpersonal Intelligence (People Smart)- interpersonal intelligence is the ability to understand and interact effectively with others. It involves verbal and non verbal communication and the ability to note distinctions among others, sensitivity to the moods and temperaments of others.
6) Bodily Kinesthetic Intelligence (Body Smart)- Bodily Kinesthetic intelligence is the capacity to manipulate objects and use a variety of physical skills.
7) Linguistic Intelligence (Word Smart)- linguistic intelligence is the ability to think in words and to use language to express and appreciate complex meanings.
8) Intra-personal Intelligence (Self Smart)- intrapersonal intelligence is the capacity to understand oneself and one’s thoughts and feelings, and to use such knowledge in planning one’s thoughts and feelings.
9) Spatial Intelligence (Picture Smart)- spatial intelligence is the ability to think in three dimensions. Core capacities include mental imagery, spatial reasonings, image manipulation, graphic and artistic skills, and an active imagination.
So the next time you feel inferior because you aren’t strong in a specific academic subject or in certain situations remember there are nine categories of intelligences and at least one applies to you.
God bless you all and thank you for reading.